Mold 101: Everything You Need To Know About Mold

What is mold?

Mold is a toxic fungus found commonly inside building after water damage events such as a plumbing or a roof leak. Molds are directly linked to over 30 different illnesses and can lead to costly property damage. The mold removal process is dangerous, physically challenging, and requires expensive specialized equipment to effectively remove it. This is why mold removal projects are often left to trained mold remediation professionals like ourselves at ATG Mold.

Why mold causes illness

Mold exposure can lead to both toxic and allergenic effects in humans. Mold spores which molds use to reproduce and mVOC's which are released as mold digests building materials. When both of these toxic elements of mold are accelerated through growth inside a confined area, such as your home. It can become a major risk!

Mold Spores

Microscopic in size you can think of spores as molds version of seeds. Molds release mass quantities of these spores to reproduce. Delicate and ultra-lightweight, these spores are easily transported throughout other areas of your home. Similar to a dandelion flower blowing in the wind. Spores are both toxic and allergenic to humans, and are easily inhaled by occupants of the infested building.

When we test your home for mold, we often use spore count concentrations to analyze mold levels.


Molds feed off of cellulose found in most building products such as drywall. They then breakdown and digest the material, releasing harmful mycotoxins known as (mVOC's) Microbial Organic Compounds into the air of your home.

When you smell musty odors coming from your walls that smell is actually mVOC's which can be highly toxic, and lead to serious health effects. This is why they are also known as "Mold Farts".

So if you smell musty odors, please do not inhale them and call a mold pro! These toxic gasses are also microscopic and can easily penetrate walls.

For example, if you have mold growth occurring behind your wall in your basement. These mycotoxins don't just stay downstairs. They actually spread very easily into the air of other areas of your property.

Hyphae fragments

Hyphal fragments make up the physical structure of molds. They are both allergenic and toxic both dead or alive. This is why mold should always be physically removed rather than just sprayed and “killed”.

How mold makes you sick

Mold illness is something that sneaks up on people, and most people often overlook the risk of mold exposure until they become sick themselves.

Common illnesses include:

  • Allergies
  • Sinus infections
  • Eczema & other skin conditions
  • Brain Fog & headaches
  • Asthma & trouble breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle cramping
  • Fungal infections

Have a mold issue?
Don't continue to risk your health and further damage to your property! Get a free, personalized, no obligation mold removal quote today!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.